The Sister States Program is the conduit for the formal Governor to Governor relationship between Maryland and its international Sister States. The Program is a vital and active network of Marylanders, which serves as a clearinghouse of information resources. The Program oversees an array of international exchanges, promoting a balance of business, educational and cultural interests.
The Sister States Program:
- Maintains diplomatic relations with our Sister States.
- Matchmakes between Marylanders and the Sister States.
- Works with Marylanders and the Sister States to develop and maintain business, cultural and educational exchanges.
- Hosts and co-sponsors networking and informational events.
- Serves as a clearinghouse for information and contacts related to the Sister States.
Working with Committees organized for each Sister State, the Sister States Program strategically develops exchanges to create well-balanced relationships. Exchanges can be initiated by Maryland citizens or organizations, the international Sister States or the Sister States Program.
The Maryland Sister States Program works with Maryland companies, educational institutions, non-profit organizations and individual citizens. Through high-level government connections and the history and friendship that tie Sister State relationships together, Marylanders enjoy an international entrée on a local level that is unparalleled.